This two-year graduate program, proposed exclusively in the context of the French-Azerbaidjani University (UFAZ), specialises in Geosciences with an emphasis modelling of physical and chemial proceses within the Earth. It is piloted by Ecole et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre in Strasbourg, France, in collaboration with the University of Rennes-1.
The program combines training in advanced aspects of Geology, Geophysics, and Geochemistry requiring a strong background in Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Programming. This training is provided by seasoned Professors and Assistant Professors from Strasbourg and Rennes-1 Universities and supplemented by specialist courses by professionals and experts.
Savoir-faire et qualifications
We place a strong emphasis on analytical reasoning in all our courses, initiate students to finite element modeling of Earth science processes, and give them hands-on experience with geophysical and geological fieldwork and their corresponding data processing and analysis methods.
As no field in the Geosciences can be understood alone, we guide students to integrate all the knowledge and skills they acquire and apply them to analyze and solve practical Geoscience problems in a project-oriented framework. Our aim is to train well-rounded Geoscientists and Geophysicists with strong analytical, numerical, and problem-solving skills.
What are the skills of an UFAZ Geoscience Master's graduate?
- He/she possesses a strong theoretical, numerical, and practical background in the Geosciences (Geophysics, Geology, and Geochemistry).
- He/she possesses the geoscience and physics insights and the mathematical skills required to deepen this background in any geoscience speciality, either through in-house industry training, further academic training, or self-learning.
- He/she can apply this knowledge and these skills to solving new geoscience problems, pulling together insights from different fields if necessary.
- He/she can communicate effectively in English (and also in French for some students), allowing worldwide geographic mobility.
- He/she can work effectively in teams within a multi-cultural environment.
Poursuite d'études et carrière
We expect two-thirds of our students to apply for managment or research& development positions in energy companies, geophysical / geotechnical service companies, or other companies for whom a good understanding of Earth structure and proceses is central.
We expect the remaining third of students to pursue their education with a doctoral program in Azerbaidjan or abroad.
Prérequis & Admission
We are looking for students with a strong work-ethic, who are able to learn complex information quickly and use their knowledge to solve previously unseen problems. The ideal applicant will have bachelor level training in :
- Physics (continuum mechanics, fluid mechanics, wave propagation in elastic media, electromagnetic phenomena, potential fields);
- Geology (stratigraphy, plate tectonics, mineralogy, petrology, sedimentology);
- Chemistry (architecture and transformation of matter, chemical equilibria, the thermodynamics of chemical reactions).
Entry to the Geoscience Master's program at UFAZ requires taking an entry exam (details to follow).