Great solidarity with Ukraine on the European Campus
All five member universities of Eucor – The European Campus express their solidarity with the Ukrainian people and condemn Russia’s belligerent attack on the sovereign state, its civil society and peace in Europe.
“We stand by the side of the victims and refugees and support the numerous relief efforts that are also forming from among our universities. Principles of openness, tolerance and cross-border exchange govern our actions. These values must now be upheld even more clearly,” affirms Prof. Schenker-Wicki, Eucor President and President of the University of Basel.
The war in Ukraine has provoked great compassion and solidarity among the member universities. The following is an overview of the statements made by university leaders:
- Statement of the University Management at the University of Basel on the war in Ukraine;
- As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres and thus also of the Alliance of Science Organisations, the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) joins the statement of the Alliance;
- The University of Freiburg supports the statements of the Alliance of Science Organisations and the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) and points out existing support services;
- “Nous sommes tous Ukrainiens” (“We are all Ukrainians”), Statement by Michel Deneken, President of the University of Strasbourg (in French only);
- Declaration of solidarity of the Université Haute-Alsace (UHA) with Ukraine (PDF file for download).
Additional information about lectures, interviews and events (updated ongoingly):
University of Strasbourg:
- The University of Strasbourg is organising a series of events entitled “Зрозуміти/Comprendre“. The events take place on site and are in French only;
- Relief initiatives by the University of Strasbourg (in French only);
- Interview on the conflict between Russian and Ukraine with professor emeritus at the University of Strasbourg and Russia expert Jean-Christophe Romer (in French only).
University of Basel:
- On May 3rd, the University of Basel extends its invitation to an European Colloquium. Frédéric Journès, Ambassador of France to Switzerland, will give a lecture followed by a discussion entitled “Conflit en Ukraine/Présidence française de l’Union européenne: quand l’Europe reprend son destin en main“. The event will take place in person and is open to the public.
- University of Basel: Ask Our Expert – Prof. Dr. F. Benjamin Schenk: The History of the Conflict in Ukraine (in German only);
- Further events of the University of Basel on the war in Ukraine will be published regularly on the website of the University of Basel.
University of Freiburg:
- The University of Freiburg has launched a video podcast in which Freiburg researchers look at Russia’s war of aggression in Ukraine from their different scientific perspectives (in German only);
- The extracurricular studies of the University of Freiburg regularly organise events under the heading: “War in Ukraine: Backgrounds and Perspectives“, which are mainly held online;
- On March 21, the University of Freiburg organised an online panel discussion on the topic “Freiburg and the War in Ukraine – Perspectives from the University, City and Regional Council” (in German only). Find a recording of the event here;
- On March 9, the University of Freiburg organised an online panel discussion on the topic: “Return of the Empire? Putin’s War and its Global Implications.”. Find a recording of the event here;
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT):
- KIT has put an information portal online to provide information on offers of assistance to people from Ukraine.
To support displaced Ukrainian researchers and students, Eucor – The European Campus has compiled an overview of the national initiatives offered in Germany, France and Switzerland, as well as to some European and Global initiatives. Last update on April 20th 2022.[/vc_message]